Monday, November 8, 2010

A Few things I bought recently... - Tomato Photo

Hello,

It is time of the year where new gear and equipment is needed to replace the old.... and here is the review of it...

Camera strap - Black Rapid Double Strap..
http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/double-strap/

I love the comfort and the ease of use for this straps which help me in fast action Children Photography. It slides effortlessly and allow me to work really fast. The thick padding around my shoulder makes it comfortable to wear for extended period of time. 

I have yet to tried both straps with 2 cameras yet... shall add to this once I have tested the setting.

Photoshop CS5

Yes, i know I am a bit late... but don't see the point until now...
The industry-standard photo editing tool which now support 64bit processing which is a lot faster with Mac OS 10.6 even with the old set up... The interface is rather clean and the RAW processing is a lot more efficient and I just love it...

I was once a film photographer... however, digital change it all... as a committed and certified premier Greener Photographer, we believe we should reduce our "impact" from our activity. By removing processes that require the use of chemical (processing the film, etc), allow us to be "Green".

With Photoshop, it allows the photographer to control their creative vision... and a freedom to express in color and black and white.... B&W from color film is a no no, unless you like those muddy B&W... Color from B&W negatives? well, shall we call it impossible? I am sorry but I don't see the reason to enjoy half of the world.... Digital (Color & B&W) is the best of both world...

Children photography is one area where color makes the kids looks "Happy & Beautiful" and the B&W allow the photographer to channel the emotion and connection between the subjects...

Have you seen the print from 100% cotton-rag paper fine art print?  
I used to love the "fibre base" paper printed from B&W film and I thought, it is (was) the best.... don't get me wrong... I still love it for nostalgic feel of the paper... but whenever I think about the chemical that use for that... it makes me wonder? 

The word chemical seems to be quite the opposite to "Children Photography".... 


Sony A850 DSLR
The little brother of Sony A-900 camera... I am glad that I have bought the camera a few months ago... After more than 200,000 clicks... A900 decided that it needed the TLC from the technician from Sony Service Centre...
Inside that little DSLR body, hosted the highest resolution sensor (~25MP) there is to offer in 35mm full frame... best thing is... Stabilising for lenses... Built in!!! 

I love Sony system which is the only company for 35mm format that offer stabilisation to all the prime lenses... no other system provide that at this stage...

In case you are wondering, it is the same sensor that Nikon put in their high end D3X.


Sony NEX-5 with legendary Minolta Rokkor 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.2, 85mm f1.7 lenses...
Ok... this is not a business equipment... I use this as my everyday system which allow me to create DSLR quality in a very small package and incredible ease of use....

It is my toy... 

Speaking of which... this camera is capable to produce very good quality images when needed... I was using to shoot a few portrait using the system when A900 decided to take a break. Impressive!!!


Spyder 3 Elite
Well, my 5 years old Eye 1 Display 2 calibrator has decided it is also time to call it a quit... In Singapore, it is quite impossible to find support for Xrite's product, hence, I find my next Calibrator for my monitor... 

I was skeptical with with Spyder and Spyder 2 as they have never as accurate as Xrite's product as far as my experiences tell me... however, Datacolor seems to create a product that I am so happy with....

So all 4 of my Macs are now calibrated with the device for color accuracy.... Love it... 

It is one little steps that all photographers should do is to calibrate your monitor... what you see is what you print...



Here is my wish list:
Latest 12 Core MacPro with 30" Eizo Monitor.....
Leica M9 with Noctilux 50mm f0.95



Good night....


Regards,

Hart
Tomato Photo
www.tomato.sg



No comments: